?

Log in

No account? Create an account

Previous Entry | Next Entry

Demolition Women

My sister came by today and used her superpowers to pull out the last of the earthquake-proof closet.



Bedroom before, with built-in closet intact and furniture in place
Three weeks ago


The bedroom emptied, with closet completely demolished
Today


Lumber from the demolished closet being de-nailed with a pry bar out on the porch
De-nailing the lumber for donation


She still owns a motor vehicle, so we loaded up all the 2x4s, plus large plywood shelves, trim and closet doors, and she drove off to donate it to the Rebuilding Center.

Other not-strictly-garbage stuff magically disappears if I leave it out on the curb for the scrappers.



There are a few things left in the bedroom--including my bed--that still have to come out before flooring can commence. My living room, kitchen, and porch are already heaped high, so the next order of business is a choice: rent a storage pod or just jettison a bunch of stuff.

I'm leaning heavily towards jettisoning. It's a lot simpler.

Crossposted from Dreamwidth, where there are comment count unavailable comments.

Comments

harrigan
Mar. 5th, 2014 12:06 am (UTC)
I was thinking of you today, as I continued with my resolution of spending 30 mins a day de-cluttering. I'm so impressed by what you're doing! (Not enough to commit to more than 30 mins/day, LOL, but enough to stick with it.) Sometimes what's most time consuming is just the waffling over whether to keep something or not. I'm getting rid of a fair amount, but choosing to keep things that I am pretty sure in a year or two I'll be tossing/recycling/donating. Just can't... quite... part with some things yet!

Keep on posting!
emeraldsedai
Mar. 5th, 2014 12:30 am (UTC)
Decluttering is serious business! I imagine every individual has to take their own unique approach to it, but here's what I found:
  1. Be only as ruthless as you can be without stress.
  2. Your clutter is probably the archaeology of your life: it has layers, and each layer has the potential of raising very strong feelings. Respect that.
  3. There's a point where the joy of empty spaces overtakes the attachment to things, and that's when it gets easy to let a lot of things go--but never all the things.
  4. Twenty or thirty minutes per session is plenty, and that probably not every day.

I got rid of 75% of my clutter several years ago, and only now am I ready to tackle the other 25% (plus the very thin layer that has accumulated since).

Profile

Stumptown
emeraldsedai
DarkEmeralds

Latest Month

December 2018
S M T W T F S
      1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
3031     

Tags

Page Summary

Powered by LiveJournal.com
Designed by Tiffany Chow